For the Easter holidays, we went on a trip to London, which meant quite a long drive. So on the day we were supposed to leave, I packed a few burger sandwiches for the road. But, we ended up postponing the trip by one day and had those burgers for dinner that night instead. The next day, I was out of bread so opted to make buns instead of walking all the way to the store. :) I know each one is of a different size but it was fun to make and tasted quite decent too.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter until very warm.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Mix milk mixture into flour mixture, and then mix in egg. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape into smooth balls, and place on a greased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Cover, and let rise for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Bake at 200 degrees C for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.